A Battle a Day
…keeps the debt away!
*Fists up* Right now, I’m having an all-out brawl with our budget. Meanwhile, Adam is having a Super Soakers war with his little cousins. I think that means we’re pretty much in sync today 🙂
This morning, I created a budget worksheet to keep track of our future expenses. I made four columns: Item, Percentage of Budget, Expected Cost, and Actual Cost. I put in the numbers for catering (food, drinks, cake), and it came out to 70% of our budget! That basically leaves tiddlywinks for the dress, suit, photographer, dj, florist, invites, gifts, rings, ceremony, reception site fee, and the 20+ other items on the sheet.
So I ask myself, while typing intently at my laptop, Carrie Bradshaw-style:
Is it possible to have a weekend evening reception for 200 guests
on a reasonable budget?
We could buy a shiny new car with this money. Instead, we’re offering it to caterers and venues. Alas, it’s not enough.
What are my choices?
- Switch from evening to daytime. Goodbye, sunset, stars, and moonlit glow. I would’ve loved to see you through the gloriously large windows at Danada House.
- Switch from a weekend to a weekday, which may be troublesome for our guests.
- Skip dinner and have a late evening desserts-and-cocktails reception.
- Cut down our guest list. I just tried this. I could cut down my side from 123 to 100 of our closest relatives and friends. Adam has 125 on his side.
- Have an alcohol-free wedding. That’s what I always wanted, and at $20/person at most places, it could save about $4000. Whoa mama.
If I were being smart-Hannah, I would make any of the above changes lickety-split! However, the wedding brings out the hopeless romantic, dreamy-Hannah who shyly shakes her head at doing any of the above. I don’t think dreamy-Hannah’s going to get me anywhere in this battle.
Leave a Comment
Be the first to comment!